In the year 2016, I realized just how fast-paced life could get. How does one live in "the moment" when said moment is gone in the blink of an eye?
A lot of energy was spent planning 2017 in 2016 so much that now that the year is here, I feel sort of lost, like it just suddenly appeared and I'm a deer, frozen, caught in the glare of headlights. You could tell by the way I've been missing in action and the fact that there was no Christmas DIY in 2016. Nevertheless, we move forward.
First, a 2016 review:
I did a 2016 blogging resolutions post and I had 7 resolutions of which I fulfilled 6 so I think I did okay.
I wrote helpful posts, collaborated with brands and bloggers, made money from blogging (no matter how teeny tiny) and I was way more active on social media *coughs* Instagram *coughs*. I realized how I could stand out but I cancelled the Fashion Stance Series and hardly tried anything new. I failed woefully in that aspect. On my more personal list, I wrote that I would go to the movies 7 times in 2016. I went 3 times. At the end of the year in some vain attempt to tick that off my list. So sad.
So here goes:
It's so easy, as a blogger, to get lost in the struggles of content creation, labouring over topic after topic wondering what on earth to post when the answer is just at one's finger tips.
What do I know that could help people?
I've realized that value comes in so many forms. It could be inspiration. Entertainment. Helping someone with a difficult task, it all depends on the person. Information you'd find useless, someone somewhere needs desperately so this year, I want to provide value.
Success is only possible, to me, if there's a balance. I could say I was successful in 2016 but whilst performing compulsory tasks and "succeeding", I was almost miserable. A bit of exaggeration there but that's sincerely how I felt.
What's the point of succeeding at set tasks and not being happy?
This year I want to balance out all aspects of my life. I have a plan and if it works, I'll share it.
-More "lifestyle" posts
My blog is a mixture of style, DIY, & photography. And lifestyle posts even though I'm not especially sure how that works. I plan to discover in 2017.
This didn't occur to me as a resolution until a friend (hey Vincent!) pointed it out.
I'd been feeling overwhelmed with how much stuff I've had for a very long time and at the end of 2016, I decided to get rid of a lot of it. My room is near empty right now and it's making me immensely happy.
I had so many items of which I only used about 25%. And the remaining 75% really stressed me out.
May be it's part of the reason I changed the blog theme, maybe it's not, but the truth is, halfway through 2016, I got sick and tired of all the pink, blue and yellow in the former blog theme.
In 2017, I would probably lead a minimal lifestyle. I first joked about being a minimalist here.
I'm a creature of routine so when I get stuck in my ways, I get stuck. Blissfully stuck. But this year, no more! I'll actually try new things even though I'm actually terrified of my future plans as I type this but ... How does one truly live without taking risks?
I have so many DIY ideas and it makes me so sad that I haven't posted one in months. It's just more stressful when taking pictures. I made something today, a mesh choker, but couldn't take pictures because of camera issues.
2017, ain't nothing stopping those DIYs from coming, camera or nah. Let's hope I still sing this tune months from now.
-Rediscover the fun
I used to derive so much fun from the creative process but for most of 2016, it became tedious. I would be so focused on just getting the content out there so that I'd have fulfilled a task off my list so I could move to the next task. Honestly, it became slightly wearisome.
In 2017, I want to play with my clothes. I want to have fun with fashion. I want to savour the creative process whilst feeling grateful for the opportunity of having an outlet to do so.
I'm going to take my focus off the statistics and stop feeling like they define me.
I want to rediscover the fun.
Meanwhile, I made a Blog Survey to find out what you guys would like to see in 2017. Please fill the survey here, it's just 10 questions.
What are your New year's resolutions?
Leave a comment, I'd love to hear from you!
Don't forget to subscribe. Seriously. I'm taking the newsletter thing seriously this year.
Follow me on Instagram, let's connect!